McSavage (Barks?) gag

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Mon Dec 4 09:33:55 CET 2000

Thanks Ole for uploading McSavage's art for us to see (and for mine also).
I apologise for calling his drawing "poor".  He is an accomplished and
capable artist.  His work is a bit more stylised than that of many of the
more conventional Duck artists.  Appreciating the differences between them
is a matter of taste.  I guess I feel that he shows less differences in
expression than many of the others, and the extreme shortness of his duck's
bills is unpalatable to me, as I grew up with the long bills of Barks' 1940
Ducks and I grew up with REAL ducks (ALL of whom have long, narrow bills -
not short and wide).

Daniel: Now that I know that Carl himself indicated that the Parrot gag may
have been his, I feel that it is more likely than I thought that it was,
indeed by him.  But, as you said, we still cannot be sure, as his memory
for all the more than 7,000 comic book pages he drew, even only 10 years
after, was not perfect.  This unsureness is likely to be enhanced in
situations where he only submitted a gag in word description, as you
indicated may have been the case in this situation.  Yes, Daniel, I will
send you a coloured version within 2 days.

Rob Klein