Identical messages on DCML and "Screaming" vs. "Crying" Cowboy

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Sat Dec 9 19:09:35 CET 2000

I have 3 important points to make regarding (1) Barks' submission of gag
ideas; (2) repetition of exact converations on DCML; and (3) The 1920s or
'30s Country and Western novelty song "The Crying Cowboy" as possible
contributor to Barks' inspiration for Donald's "Screaming Cowboy".

It was always my idea that Barks turned in a sketched drawing for all his
idea submissions to Western Publishing.  But, I wasn't sure if that were
absolutely ALWAYS the case.  Perhaps Mike Barrier, or some other person
with more knowledge of that subject can enlighten us.  I apologise to you,
Daniel for misinterpreting your message.  I had thought that we do not know
for sure, if he submitted a drawing, or just a text description.  If he DID
turn in a drawing and McSavage saw it, McSavage must (in my opinion) have
changed the staging and poses drastically.  They do not look at all like
Barks.  As Daniel suggested to me in a private message, perhaps a study of
Barks poses and staging from that period (1948-1951) for those particular
emotional requirements and situations would give us insight.

I also apologise for appearing a bit ascerbic over seeing the EXACT SAME
(word for word) discussion in another DCML message.  As I noted in that
very message: it is NOT a waste of our time because we now have many new
members who have now been exposed to that information.  It is clear that I
am schizophrenic, showing both positive and negative reactions in one
comment.  I'm not really as nasty as a few of my comments may sometimes
appear.  This list is a great place for us Disney Comics fans to share
great insight and lots of new information - so keep up the good work (and
bear with old humbugs like me!).

Now the fun Part!  "The Screaming Cowboy" has long been a favourite theme
for Barks Fans and
Donaldists.  As a part-time worker in Germany, lo these many years, I have
been trying for a long time to help The "Hamburger" Donaldists find the
inspiration Barks had for their "Theme Song".

I had an Uncle whose own "Theme Songs" were called "The Crying Cowboy" and
"The Laughing Cowboy".  They were recorded on the two sides of a single
American, 10 inch, 78 RPM plastic (or bakelite?) record.  He played it once
for me in the early 1950s when I visited him in Chicago, USA.

The record was printed on the OKEH label, and I believe it was released in
the late 1920s or early 1930s (certainly no later than the mid 1930s).  It
was a country and western novelty record.  A parody of both the typical and
popular "sad" and "happy" cowboy songs of the period.  The "Crying Cowboy"
had inane lyrics with a lot of crying, wailing, howling, moaning and
sobbing.  The other side was ridiculously happy, with a lot of varient
laughing.  Unfortunately, I cannot remember
the Singer's name.  And, more unfortunately, by the time my slow mind made
the potential connexion between it and Barks' "Screaming Cowboy", my Uncle
had died - and had been buried WITH THE RECORD!!!  He really liked it!   I
have since tried to find it, but was never able to even find information on
it.  I looked it up in the Schwann Catalogue between 1986 and 1990, but it
was never listed.  That was supposed to be the official ist of recorded
music currently available.  Perhaps it has since been re-released on a
compilation CD of Western or novelty songs; and thus, will be currently
listed on a computer list (perhaps even available on the internet?).  Can
some of our new musically knowledgeable members help us out in our search?

Seasonal Greetings to all our members,  Rob Klein

Sinterklaasje bonne-bonne-bonne,
gooi wat in de lege lege tonne,
gooi wat in de huizen,
dan grabbelen wij als muizen!