Black or Blue

Fluks, H.W. H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Thu Feb 24 12:21:25 CET 2000

Daniël wrote (Saturday, February 19, 2000 4:27 PM):

> The general rule seems to be that his suit is black in the comic book
> stories, while it's blue on the covers.
>
> I don't know the reason for the suit being black in the comics. Maybe
> because Al Talliaferro set the standard? His newspaper strips where
> generally black and white, though a comic generally contains colours.
> So, even though the comic could use a blue suit, maybe it was
> still kept
> black to give more contrast to the panels, especially in the days in
> which comics had a limited use of colours?

Someone (was it Don?) wrote a very plausible explanation here on DCML, not
so long ago. In the first years of USA comics, the Donald Duck comics were
*only* reprints of the newspaper strips. With black suits. When Barks
started doing new Duck stories, they simply told him to be consistent with
the strips, so he used a black suit too. And everyone after him did the same
(with very few exceptions).

--Harry.