DCML digest, Vol 1 #165 - 7 msgs

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Fri Jun 2 13:04:34 CEST 2000

APOSTOLIS:

> Dear Don,
> Did you ever think about visiting Athens? You know that your stories are
> very popular here (and specially "The Life and Times" and "The Guardians of
> the Lost Library"). Komix always putting articles about you, when a story is
> published.

I'm sure that Don has probably thought about visiting every single place
in the world where his stories are popular. The trouble with this is
that the only way he can do so without getting broke is to either find
a fragment of Uncle Scrooge's ticket from "The Mines of King Solomon",
or be invited by the local publisher. Unfortunately, when another Greek
fan asked the Komix editors if they could invite Don to Greece, they
replied that this is "beyond their abilities".  Presumably they believe
it would be too expensive.

MARK:

> time] Disney magazine that made its weekly delivery [was it Saturday
> afternoons?]

Friday mornings.

> I'd hand over my two, or was it three, drachma

Three.

It is interesting that we remember such details after all these years!

> Barks and Strobl stories didn't start trickling into Greek
> publication until the second, larger format Disney comic "MEGALO MIKY" came
> along,

Actually, there was a Barks story (the one about the carnivorous plants)
in MIKY MAOYS #1, and another one in MIKY MAOYS #3 ("The Prize of
Pizarro", for which I used to have a very special place in my heart,
until Gladstone and Disney re-re...re-printed it to death.) I'm pretty
sure other Barks stories were printed in MIKY MAOYS (the one with the
giant Donald-Shaped balloon comes to mind), as well as some Strobl stories
(all of which I have forgotten).  What's interesting is that Barks stories
had not been completely unknown to Greece until 1966, when MIKY MAOYS
started being published. Before that, there was a series called "Gelio
kai Hara" (=laughter and joy), published by Atlantis publications, which
was something similar to the American four-color series. They printed
all kinds of stuff, like Little Lulu, Bugs Bunny, and, of course, Disney
comics. I vaguely remember reading an Uncle Scrooge (whose name had
been Hellenized as "Theios Skroutzis") that was in Barks' style. (No,
I can't possibly justify the claim that I can remember the style in
which a story that I read when I was 4or 5 years old had been drawn!)

> My passion was stored away as were my comic books.

If your passion was only stored, instead of being thrown away, then
you are a very lucky person, as many of the stories in those early MIKY
MAOYS issues are masterpieces, and that box of MIKY MAOYS is a priceless
treasure!

> Today as much as I appreciate Barks' work, I have a special love for those
> long Italian duck stories. I'd love to hear from you Romano Scarpa fans out
> there.

I think list members are divided into two categories regarding Romano
Scarpa: Those who claim he is one of the three best Disney comics artists
(the other two being Barks and Rosa, of course), and the one person who
thinks that Scarpa's stories are nothing to write home about!

> Here's to a brimming bowl of lentils (from Babylon)!

With linseed oil? Yum!

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"There's something unnervingly recursive about digging up the remains of
 dead archaeologists."
-----