R: Characters from the HISTORY OF COMPUTERS?

Luca Boschi cnotw at zen.it
Sun Jun 4 20:57:12 CEST 2000

Hi, Rich!

> It seems to me that a few of the robots are familiar as well.

Yes, the one at the top right hand in the first page is CHARLIE. It comes
from a 1952's MM story drawn by Dick Moores: MM and Goofy's Mechanical
Wizard (reprinted in WDC&S # 280 (1963-4) and follow.

> Especially
> the little guy with the handle cranks on the side of his head.  Is he the
> robot that appeared in an old Gottfredson comic with Mickey & Goofy?

Yes, in Italy it was called Magneto, originally is OHM-EYE (which sounds
like "Oh, my!"). From Walsh-Gottfredson's  Science Fiction DS 10/3/1952 -
2/28/1953.

And now, one queation from me (for all...). Maybe you just spoke about this
matter and I missed your discussion...
Maybe this "computadora" very nice story has never bee translayed in Italy.
And, if it was, in wich "Mega" it was?

If not, it deserves to be translated.

Bye and thanks.

Luca