Rob Klein on the Lady Pig

Eta Beta eega at supereva.it
Mon Jun 5 23:43:08 CEST 2000

Rob Klein sent me some more interesting considerations about
the Lady Pig cover, and asked to forward them to the list, so
here goes, and thank you Rob.

Cheers

Eta Beta

As it is unclear from the
picture whether or not she could be one of the three little pigs in
disguise, I rather doubt that she is. I suspect that she is Patricia Pig
from the 30's cartoons and comic strips.  I realise that she may not be
as fat as she was in the 30's cartoons, but artists for MMM, Disney
merhandising or Comics (later) didn't always stay very true to the
cartoons
or even Gottfredsson's strip style.  I'm sure they didn't use model sheets
very much in those days.  The gag writers probably just wrote a note
saying
"girl pig in bathing suit preparing to dive".  The gags on the covers of
MMM and the early Comics and Stories were often very obscure or not very
discernable.  I'm guessing that this gag was that Mickey and his male
barnyard friends put up a crossed out the S in Swimmin' so they could go
swimming and also covering the desire of these "young" boys (as mickey was
in 1928-30) to have no "girls" around at times.
 The coordination of the artwork with the gag is very poor.  I suspect the
gag "writer" did not send a scribble drawing with his written
"description"
of the cover.  At that time, usually the "writers" were also artists (e.g.
storyboarders).  I believe Bob Karp and the other writers could certainly
draw scribbles (I'm sure he didn't draw scribbles for his written stories,
but that should have been done for cover gags.

Rob Klein