DCML digest, Vol 1 #175 - 4 msgs

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Mon Jun 12 14:19:33 CEST 2000

> From: "Ridout"
> Subject: Re: don's dinner party...
> Give us a report on how it went!

You're embarrassing me! The Bad Fairy got me for being a shameless
namedropper.
This was a gathering I tried to slap together in less than 24 hours, which
was why I had to dash the other day to continue with preparations. These
last-minute ideas never work out. Kaluta I have known for 25 years since he
was a guest at a con I held in 1975! I was a guest with Stout at a small
two-guest con a few years back, and it was very slow so we had lots of chat
time. Actually, Shultz I don't know personally, but I am a big fan of his
as I have always been of the other two..
However, they ended up NOT visiting me here! It turned out the
local modeller convention had Stout and Shultz busy during that evening,
the
friends that Kaluta was traveling with had a small child they had not
warned me about (not "welcome" here, and they were used to that), Kaluta's
sponsor was also tied up at the con site, and the temperature was 95 and we
would have had to sit inside. He was still able to come, but I would have
been tearing him away from an entire convention full of friends and people
wanting to see him as well as the people (friends of mine) who had paid for
his visit to Louisville! I decided that seemed rude and selfish of me, so I
called it off and he and I decided that was the best move. (I've been
trying to have dinner with him for 25 years! 25 years ago I gave a helper
some $ and sent them off to a nice restaurant -- I was too busy!)
So we decided to try it again next year, and that will be even better. Dave
Stevens (who used to be a fellow fanzine contributor back in the 70's) told
me he might be at that show and would join the party. What a group that
would be! These are all the artists whose work I love the most! (Everyone
naturally assumes I'm a "funny animal" art lover, which is not the case at
all. I am an EC/horror/SF comics fan... who happens to think the only thing
better is an adventure/comedy Duck story by Mr.Barks.)