178: Don and Greece

Anders Christian Sivebaek acsive at mail.mira.dk
Thu Jun 15 17:25:53 CEST 2000

DON
> These are USED comic books.
> *Half* cover price! I'm a fair guy.
Thsi reminds me of a great cover or illustration i once saw by you,
Don. And there's some meen comics-alesman beside you, who sells
collector's comics, and you sell them at fair prices... Was the guy Al,
selling comics using some price-guide?

Anyway I too would like to thank Archontis a lot for his report about
his and Orjans vist at Don's house. It was brilliant IMO.

Apostolis Trikourakis
You seem to find it very important that we see your nice page (Should
we link to it from duckhunt?), so much that you send the mail towo
times, maybe by mistake:-)

Sorry that I called you guys greaks the other day... greek just seems
so near to another word... (geek) - ;-)

MIKE
I see your point, but still i liked the Cutty Sark-story. The only
duck-charecter that could fill out the part Scrooge has in the story is
himself...

What did you think about the Pizen Bluff-b-chapter? i liked that one
very much too.

Oyvind J. Karstad

Have a great trip to Athens, oyvind, allthough I wouldn't go there at
this time of year. Face it, even the greeks (?) are complaining over
the heat.
When I visited in October last year the temperature in Denmark was
getting long pants and all... I changed to shorts the morning after I
arrived! (Didn't I? Wasm't it only when we went to dinner that I
switsched back because the evenings are cold? Kriton?)

> I am going to Athens with my family next week.
> I know we have some Greek members on the list, and I have some
questions:
I am not greek but I feel able to answer too.

> Can anybody tell me where in the city I can find some good comic
shops?
I would say monistiraki is good! It's between Athina-street and The
acropolis. Just ask, everyone seems to know the way to the place.

> Is it difficult to find second-hand (or "new" backissues of) Disney
comics?
Depends on how new you want them. I was able to find a not-so-nice-copy
of issue 133 (It was the time of issue 136 in october), so that's 3
months.

> How are the prices?
Fair, very fair I'd say.

> Is it still possible to get the June issue of Komix (#144),
> considering I will not go "shopping" before around the 25th?
Apostolis is probably right, the kiosk will still have it. You'll be so
lucky as to be able to buy two issues, if you stay untill 1st july. I
always plan my trips after that...(Yes, this guy is crazy!) On a trip
in 1993 I was able to buy 4 german weeklies and 2 french once.
Unfortunately this was caused by the death of my grandma...

Apostolis
> Welcome to the 37*Celcium Athens, Oyvind. (Even if you are not still
here!)
Outch... that's hot..

> A good comic shop is "Solaris". It has any kind of comics magazines
> (includes some Komix old issues, from the period 1990-1992). This
shop is
> near Stournari Street near the Greek National Technical School (but,
please,
> called it "Polytechnic", 'cause if you ask somebody with that name,
he will
> understand immediately!)
Solaris - Is okay, but a long way from... er my hotel... hmmm...
Yes, Solaris has many Komix-issues. I remember the way Dennis and I
went there, up this street, to the left, up this street and so on...

> About new issues: Hmm...It's quite difficult to find them. There is
no a
> specific store for Komix magazine. Maybe some other DCML greek member
will
> know.
Maybe you should get an appointment with the office in Kifissia? But
then you'd maybe have to have written a letter some months before now.
That was partly the reason Dennis and I was allowed to visit the
office.

> About other disney magazines: Well, I don't know. Unfortunately,
there is no
> place selling "Mickey Mouse" or "Donald Duck" issues.
No, not any american issues, except for one place , where Dennis
browsed, some of them, and that's where he works now, but I forgot
where it is...

If you are a bit crazy like me though, you might want to find an issue
of all the different duck comics they have in Greece. Those will be
easy too find on every corner of the streets in Monistiraki. I think
it's on sunday that the the big markets take place, and the whole area
is filled up with people. If you come on normal weekdays all the shops
will also be open I think. but maybe not at noon - It's simply too hot.

> About # 144: Offcourse! The # 145 will be published in 30th June! So,
you
> have enough time to find it. If you look in kiosks you will find it
very
> easy!
> Komix's todays price is ~1,7$, I think.
> Sorry if the information are not enough.
I tried to give some more. Feel welcome to mail me private or here,
Oyvind if even that wasn't enough:-)