Oolated squiggs

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Tue Mar 7 14:50:17 CET 2000

RICH MORRISSEY, KRITON KYRIMIS and DON ROSA, 6 MARCH 2000:

The can with "oolated squiggs" is a background detail in panel 4.4 of the
good joe's turkey shoot story (WDC 75). This panel also shows a can of
"acme swoffs", while panel 4.2 shows a can of "Barks dog soup".

Just a thought: Very likely I try to see more in the story than actually
intended, but could Good Joe be a caricature of Carl Barks? The reason
why I saying this is that especially in panels 6.5 and 6.6, Joe looks
very much like the caricatures made of Carl Barks during his time at the
Disney Studio. An example of that could be the "You'd better go over it!"
drawing in Michael Barrier's book "Carl Barks and the Art of the Comic
Book" (1981).

In "Sherrif of Bullet Valley" (OS 199) and the Olympic tryout story (WDC
188) Barks obviously used self-caricatures, so maybe the Good Joe story
could be another instance?

Again, it's just a thought. I'm curious what others think about this.

Greetings,

--- Daniel
http://www.acciom.se/barks/index.html

"But NO!... He has REACHED the tape,
but he hasn't enough PUSH left to BREAK it!"