Rosa book prices in Finland

Vainio Jyrki jvainio at levi.urova.fi
Sat Mar 18 19:17:29 CET 2000

> I got these prices from the biggest and best second hand shop of Tampere.

Ah! I think I know the place. And for my part I wouldn't take their prices
as the average guideline. Having toured their stands at various book fairs
I've been just AMAZED by the prices they put on some of the stuff. True,
they have lots of hard-to-find items but generally at 2-3 times the price
I would expect to pay for them.

I guess some buyers are willing to pay even this much extra for the easy
availability of out-of-print books. I saw one guy cough up the requested
300 FIM ($ 50) for an OP Corto Maltese book without blinking an eye. I on
the other hand blinked quite a lot. With patience you probably would be
able to find even that book at some second-hand bookshop for a fraction of
that sum. I know I did.

And as for the "Kadonneen kirjaston vartijat" book, there are still plenty
of NEW copies around for the original price if you bother to look a bit
further that the big cities in the south. For example, in Rovaniemi where
I currently live (at the Arctic Circle) the book is easily available.

---Jyrki Vainio, (Northern) Finland