TV Guide (again)

Joseph Farrell jlfarr495 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 17 14:48:53 CET 2000

I think that relatively few people purchase TV GUIDE
at the newsstand price. Like millions of others, I
receive it by mail subscription at a radically
discounted rate. Gary is correct --- there are many
other ways of obtaining TV listings (newspapers, web
sites, onscreen menus) and TV GUIDE must provide
useful collateral content to survive. I enjoy that
content, but I would rather be spending the money on
new Gladstones!

Joe Farrell

Gary Pantzer:

   My apologies for any confusion about the usual
price of TV Guide
and thanks to Mark Doukakis for explaining that this
issue I spoke
of was a 'special'. Kriton may be right about the
price from 10 years
ago. I do remember a time when it was only 25 cents,
but it has now
become part magazine and program schedule. Not
everyone with a
tv purchases TVG because any local newspaper has a
daily schedule
and larger town papers often have a weekly section
with a complete
schedule for the coming week.

I would answer Kriton's question about the price of
comic books in
the USA, but I was only buying Gladstone's duck titles
in the last few
years and I have not bought any since their finish. At
the end, I was
(gladly!) paying $6.95 for the 'prestige' format.
Gary