Bring in the pantomime horses!

Martin Berglund delamothe at swipnet.se
Tue Nov 28 17:11:06 CET 2000

Daniel:
 >I don't know the title of the episode in which this sketch appeared.
 >Could it be possible that this sketch was inspired on Uncle Scrooge?

That sketch is called "Merchant Banker" and it's the fourth sketch in the
fourth episode of the third series of Flying Circus.

You're right, that sketch is *very* Scrooge-like.

As for american-chap Gilliam, I doubt he was very involved with writing
those sketches, although that might be where the inspiration came from. He
seems to be associated with comics (he was actually interviewed in The
Comics Journal: check http://www.tcj.com/2_archives/interviews.html)
I know very little else about this so I'll end by quoting a Scrooge-like
snippet from that sketch:

-----
City Gent: No? Well, I'm awfully sorry I don't understand. Can you just
explain exactly what you want.

Mr Ford: Well, I want you to give me a pound, and then I go away and give
it to the orphans.

City Gent: Yes?

Mr Ford: Well, that's it.

City Gent: No, no, no, I don't follow this at all, I mean, I don't want to
seem stupid but it looks to me as though I'm a pound down on the whole deal.
-----

Martin Berglund
Malmo, Sweden