Horace and some queries.

Arie Fachrisal cien2 at cbn.net.id
Tue Oct 3 04:26:02 CEST 2000

> From: sdebeer at talk21.com
> Am I the only person who is interested in the Horace Horsecollar &
Clarabelle Cow Characters? I seem  to be  in a minority of one in this!

I'm not a big fans of those two characters you mentioned but yeah, i do
missed their appearance in the newer Mickey stories. btw since i see that
the "new" Horace don't wear a horsecollar anymore, does it make him caleed
Horace "only" ? ;-)

And some queries i'd like to ask.
The olympic's over and it's great show. But that's not what i want to bug
you all about. It's a certain thing that my sis heard when she watched some
events in the olympic. She said that she heard of a person named John
Stephen Akhwari of tanzania who is a marathon runner. He competed in a
marathon competition and when the race is started, he fell down in the
middle of the event. He got up, and keeps running again. But he fell down
for the second time again, this time injured his leg. The injury was said to
be "very painful" and nearly broke his leg. He got up again for the second
time and keeps runnin'. No, he didn't make it to be the 1st, am i tellin' a
miracle here??? ;-)
No, but with a bad injured leg, he keeps on running. Needless to say, he was
not to be called "running" with a bad injured leg like that. But he kept on
running. And he kept on running after all other contestants reached the
finish line. And when the gold, silver, and bronze medals were given to the
approriate runners, he WAS still running in that event. And finally, one
hour AFTER the medals were given out, he reached the finish line.
Don't know about you guys, but i found this story quite touching and the
commentators were also touched and said that at that time and only that
time, the world can finally see the true spirit of olympic.

Barks' fans will recalled a story by Barks titled "Olympics' tryouts" at
this very moment. I thought that, wow, this guy sure is like Donald Duck in
that story. Wonder he may have read that Barks' story and gave him the idea
to keep on running, finishing the race just to prove to himself that he can
finish the contest. I was quickly shocked again when my sis said that IF she
heard right, the event takes place in 1950s olympic.
I was wandering if maybe Barks got inspired by this event and wrote the
story based on that event. Or maybe this is just a very simple coincidence.
Any answers will be highly appreciated as i want to write an essay on this
one if what i'm guessin' is right, hopefully it's right.

Thanks in advance,
Arie Fachrisal