New scanned stories: DO we have permission to do that?

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Fri Oct 13 09:23:28 CEST 2000

APOSTOLIS, HARRY:

> > Do you
> > want for all us to shut down our pages because of a stupid
> > law which saying that only the company have the copyrights?
>
> And the copyright law is not stupid. It's common sense to protect the
> creativity of individuals.

I'll have to agree with Harry here. How would you feel, Apostolis,
if you spent a great deal of effort in writing a story, then selling
0 copies of it, just because an enthusiastic young man like yourself
had posted it to the web, and people didn't need to go out and buy the
actual book to read your story? Or how would you feel if Egmont's sales
dropped significantly, because people would read new stories on the web,
scanned from a copy hot off the press, and they decided that they couldn't
afford to pay people like Don to produce new stories?

Disney may be stretching the interpretation of Copyright laws in their
favor, but fighting this cannot be done by trying to break exactly those
things that these laws intend to protect; you are only giving Disney
extra ammunition to enforce their views.

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"Nobody would have the gumption to tell the captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise
 he couldn't have his doctor, his dentist, his favorite carpenter, or his dog
 groomer at his side if he wanted to, security clearance or not."
-----