Comics Journal Tribute to Carl Barks

andrae andrae at california.com
Sat Oct 14 18:13:52 CEST 2000

Thanks for mentioning The Barks tribute in the Comics Journal and the
transcription of the Barks video that is reprinted there.  Unfortunately my
name was left off the interview.  Don Ault and I did the interview together
in 1975. It has never been fully reprinted before.

I produced the video tape version called "The Duck Man: An interview with
Carl Barks."  It took me and a professional editor about six to eight
months of work to put it together.  I wanted to make certin that the clip
of Carl drawing Uncle Scrooge got preserved.  The entire tape was
disintegrating because of its age and we had to send out this one section
to a technician to make a special print of it to preserve it. The rest of
the tape had to be fed through an old video player a little at a time
because the tape wouldn't play well on contemporary machines.  I feel very
fortunate that we were able to preserve this rare tape and present it to
fans even in its imperfect state. I think it offers a glimpse of Carl that
heighlights his great charm and humor. I hope that those of you that have
it you have enjoyed watching it.

Sincerely,

Tom Andrae

Robin Andrae