What's in a name?

Anders Christian Sivebaek acsive at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 1 20:50:18 CEST 2001

Hi
What I want to tell is something about "funny" names
in danish Duck comics.
Barks used the charecter Soapy Slick in one story,
North of the Yukon in Uncle Scrooge 59. This cherecter
has been printed in Denmark 3 times. In the weekly,
where Mr. Slick is called something that means
approximately the same (Luskhans). But in a book with
many Scrooge stories, in a 6-tier format he had
another name. (I shoould have brought the book here,
but it's at another place).
In the danish publications of Last Sled to Dawson in
1990 and 2001 The same guy is names S. Nyd which would
resemble to a guy named C. Heat in english (Only in
english there's some kind of meaning to it, but an odd
one - because he's more cold than hot...)
That is the old danish idea of a fun name for a
charecfter in DD. a doctor could be named D. Octor or
T. B. something (I made that one, but it could have
been real)
In 1993 the new translator luckily used the old name,
the more consistent one, namely Luskhans, Soapy Slick,
in chapter 8 of Lo$ which was reused in the
book-publication in 1997.

Nah, I can't think of a good april fool's joke to give
to you in the end of this mail, I don't want to fool
you as good as I was fooled last year when Kriton told
about an issue of Komix publishing some Rosa-story
about greece or something.
But it's a fact that the Coin is coming out here in
the week we enter (tomorrow or today depending on what
you believe).

AC

=====
Anders Christian Sivebaek