Translation ; Don Rosa Quiz 1

Fluks, H.W. H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Tue Apr 3 15:40:19 CEST 2001

Olivier:

> I have a little collection of  panels that are quite a
> challenge to the translator.
> ex:    "Return to Plain Awful", final panel: "they made it *square* !"

"...om u vierkant uit te lachen" (To laugh you square[ly?] in the face)

Another famous one is Rosa's story "Fortune On The Rocks" (AR 128).
"That's YOUR fault"; "It's plain gneiss"...
(These got TOTALLY different translations in Holland.)

And there's a Barks one-pager where it "rains cats and dogs". The Dutch
changed the cats to dogs to make it fit with the expression "hondenweer"
(dog weather).

> Don Rosa quiz 1:
> "The Lone Ranger!"
> (easy?)