Miscellaneous notes, part 1

DGE@ECN.egmont.com DGE at ECN.egmont.com
Wed Apr 4 09:56:30 CEST 2001

	Hey Daniel!

>WDC 35, 1943 - the limber w guest ranch (again)
>In panel 7.1, Donald seems to long for alcoholic drinks: "Lemonade,
>limeade, ginger beer, root ale, malted soda... coca pop!..."
	These aren't alcoholic.
	Root beer and ginger ale are typical American sodas, and I think
Donald is supposed to be getting the names confused (though it doesn't work
very well, as ginger beer is another word for ginger ale). A malted soda is
a malted *ice cream* soda, an American soda fountain drink. Coca pop is now
outdated slang for Coca-Cola type drinks.

>WDC 38, 1943 - Good Neighbors
>In panel 7.6, Donald says to his nephews: "Get me one of those
>firecrackers you're savin' for the fourth - the biggest one you have!"
>Could the saving of firecrackers be a reference to World War II?
	I don't think so. But...
>BTW. Is the "fourth" a reference to the American "4th of July"?
	You're right about *this* one. The nephews are stockpiling
firecrackers for the 4th of July, where the tradition is to spend the whole
evening setting them off. Here in Denmark, I find that people do this at New
Year's Eve instead.

>WDC 43, 1944 - Three Dirty Little Ducks
>Does this story contain the first appearance of Bolivar in a Barks story?
	Yes.

	Best wishes,
	David