" C.B.'s Anti-F.D.R. Plot !!!!!!!!!!! "

WL Lilly liljerryandtheyadayadakiddz at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 20:01:31 CEST 2001

...I'm certainly amused to know that Duck fans can
argue , just like Marvel fans , say , about
ultra-pedantic details !
  Re Gold coins - " yeah , what he said " . Actually ,
if I recall correctly , the U.S. gold coins were
delcared no longer legal tender sometime early in
Franklin D. Roosevelt's Presidency
- just as he passed a law that made ownership of pure
gold , for investment purposes , illegal (
Collectibles/art - and technical purposes - were okay
. ) . It remained U.S. law through the late Sixties ,
if I recall correctly . That wouldn't conflict with
40s Americans having an old gold piece or three
 as a souviner(sic!)/item...quite the opposite !
  Barks was no F.D.R. fan . politically speaking , I
would assume , and , if I wanted to start some
deviltry , I might suggest that he put gold in as an "
anti-F.D.R./liberalism " thing - but , for heaven's
sakes , he was just writing ( & drawing ) stories for
kids ! Just like the details of the Batcave ( for
example ) changed...We fans argue about things like
this . And ain't it fun ? ( sort of )
  Interesting to hear about Euro-differences in
locating the Disney universe in Europe or the U.S. , &
money signs/coloring thereof  and internal differences
within the D.U....Personally , I'd tend to think of (
" normal " ) Disney stories as automatically taking
place in the U.S....Where else ? After all , aren't
all things Disney the very symbol of "
Coca-Colinization(sic!) " to those who greatly rail
against it ? Chauvinistic American or no...