Don Rosa: Translation of Kalevala in the Netherlands

Roy Kooijman fauntleroy at mail.com
Fri Apr 13 21:36:51 CEST 2001

> What I was asking Harry was if the
> Dutch translator
> had removed all my "sleeper" references and actually used the
> word "dead".
Let me answer for Harry, here are some facts, SPOILER ahead?:

On page 14, panel in the lowest left corner: "Wie nadert daar het slapersrijk? / Zijt gij dood of soortgelijk?"
This could be translated as: "Who approaches the realm of sleepers? / Are you death or similar?"

On page 14, panel in the lowest right corner: "Luister en huiver, tovenaar / Ik ben Tuoni, de doden-eigenaar!"
This could be translated as: "Listen and shudder, magician / I am Tuoni, the owner of the deceased!"

And on page 17 panel 3 as Donald and Scrooge are flee from Louhi the upper word balloon "Hallo! Hee, levenden / Kan het wat minder?"
This could be translated as: "Hello, Hey, alive ones / Could you calm down a bit?"

Although the last example isn't using death it clearly refers to death too IMO...

Now back to lurking mode...

-- Roy
http://mars.spaceports.com/~ddossier