What will the future bring

Søren Krarup Olesen raptus at stofanet.dk
Mon Apr 16 22:35:29 CEST 2001

I just reread an old Gatto story about a foretune-teller who had this
minor limitation, that he was only able speak about the present, yet
with absolute precision and detail.

Reading this very nice story, I wonder how much time we spend on
current events in the Disney comics arena. When will Don Rosa get his
next story published, and how was that inspired (or not) by late Carl
Barks. And how do we buy Carl Barks oils on ebay?! So much digging in
the past or very near future and no investigation in the real future
that *must* come, independantly of Rosa and Barks. Like finding
ourselves chosing among various cellulars, one being more delicious
than the other, yet without any interest in where this will bring us.

It seems as if no one really cares. New artists like the Italian
Fabio Celoni amongst others are simply ignored even (apparently) by the
Italians themselves. Why is that?!

One might claim, that Celoni sucks(!) well, I couldn't agree less, but
the fact that no one on this list tells us so is strange. In Italy we
have at least 10 artists that produce and create art, which go far
beyond what Rosa & Co. could ever hope to achieve in both story telling
and "plain" art. There is so much great art here and so much fun and
brilliant jokes and...and... but it all comes down to "what's the colour
of money" and whether Duckburg is placed in California or Peru. I do
myself find these topics interesting for academic reasons as well, but
what happened to critisism on newer artists. Are they simply ignored,
since they don't fit in the Rosa mainstream or what?! (Sorry, Don, this
has nothing to do with you personally or professionally)

Some four years back, Ole wrote to me, that the Americans should be
excused in this context, since they never had the change to read
stories where Scrooge's money bin was placed elsewhere, like e.g. in the
middle of the city and not on the hill. However, thing are not static,
and especially not as far as Disney comics are concerned.

Things *do* develop, but this development is not reflected on this
mailing list IMO. Do we have debates on new characters developed by the
Egmont team? Nope! Do we try to analyse or at least comment on new
trends in comic creation. Not the slightest bit. It's all about poor
translations or microscopic details about dates, colours, you name it...

Hey, great rock band you've got there, nice tunes and all, but it's
nothing like Mozart, so why don't you just pack your gear and close the
door behind you.

Søren