Olivier's Quiz #4

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Tue Apr 17 15:17:50 CEST 2001

OLIVIER, 17-04-2001:

> Treasure Hunt # 1:
>    In which story can you find an old horsecar ticket & a wolf trap?
>    Hint:    A Donald ten-pager in which Donald plays a particular record

The "trade rats" story (WDC 52), panels 1.7 and 5.5. The only
then-published 1940s story of which some original artwork has survived.
Page 5 to be precisely.

According to Matti Eronen's book "Surviving Comic Book Art", this page
survived only because a very eager Donald Duck strip reader wrote to
Dell Publishing in 1940s and asked for any original Donald Duck strip.
The point was that he had read newspaper strips, which were drawn by
Al Taliaferro. Later these two half pages were sold and resold as
Taliaferro's art, until someone noticed the real artist. On the lower
half-page there is one correction. Barks has at first drawn stitches on
the live rat and corrected them on the toy rat (in panel 5.6).

> "Don't worry! *We* ' ll get you out!"
> (Barks story; hint: not a 10-pager)

Er... let me think about this one, a few days. :-)

> I'm trying to *recall* and *infer* where the quotes come from rather
> than going through all the stories.

That's also what I do.

> And here's another tough one in the same line (Quiz 4):
> "No. E 12278464 B , No. D 17913149 B, No. J 86556958 A are missing"

"The Case of the Sticky Money" (US 42), panel 6.4.

Could these numbers have been *real* greenback serial numbers?

If so, then (in theory) it must be possible to get greenbacks which are
"proved" to have been in Scrooge's money bin. :-)

Best wishes,

--- Daniel

"I guess most folks are still pretty relaxed at 6:30 A.M.!"
(Which one?) :-)