Pertwillaby

Fluks, H.W. H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Tue Apr 17 19:05:57 CEST 2001

[This mail is about Rosa's non-Disney work. *And* it's about needless and
irritating details. People who don't like to read that: sorry. Please skip
to the bottom.]

Kriton wrote:

> I just got my copy of the "Don Rosa Archives" in the mail today

I got mine last week. As an indexer and nitpicker, I can't help making some
comments.

First, a big THANKS to Nils Lid Hjort for making these editions! They look
really nice. And they made up for the bad weather here during Easter (we had
*snow*!).

There have been xeroxes of reprints of these stories circulating in Europe
for some years now. I got mine thanks to Örjan Berglund, Jakob Söderbaum,
and Don Rosa. Before I threw away these xeroxes, I compared them with the
printed edition. To my surprise, there are some minor differences!

My xeroxes of episodes 67 - 127 are from the RBCC reprint. Episode 66 was
used at the start of part 2 and 3 of the reprint. In part 2, the character
"Freddie" was crossed out. In part 3, Freddie was replaced by a picture of
Gerald Atrix. (Question 1: was that a new drawing for RBCC?)

Episodes 128-133 came from "Don Rosa's Comics and stories #1" (BTW, it would
have been nice to see the covers of these issues in the Norwegian book...).
Two pages, which were only 2/3 filled in the original, were taken together
as one page in the DRCS reprint. With one panel of new art, or so it seems.
("Ah, there's prof. Cistims now...". Question 2: is that really new art? And
why were the original pages only 2/3?)

Another page had a footnote saying "a reference to an earlier "Pertwillaby
Papers" adventure to be reprinted in volume 3." I don't think volume 3 (of
DRCS) ever appeared. The Norwegian book doesn't have the text "to be
reprinted in volume 3", for obvious reasons. I think the *original* strips
don't have such a footnote at all.

And then there's another page, which was composed from 2 original pages.
Again with one panel of new (?) art. ("Vell, gett it OUT, here is our first
stop.". Question 3: why did that happen?)

Summarising, the following Pertwillaby artwork doesn't (seem to) appear in
the Norwegian book:
- partly redrawn episode #66 for RBCC;
- two new panels for DR's Comics and Stories #1;
- cover of DR's C&S #1, illustrating "Sub-zero";
- cover of DR's C&S #2, illustrating "Vortex";
- a (unpublished?) cover illustrating "The Black Knight";
- cover of RBCC #148, "in King Arthur's court!";
- poster-format strip (5 x 4 panels) advertising RBCC 148.

If the above is correct, then my Pertwillaby collection is complete! (I'm
not counting Captain Kentucky here. Though I have the impression that the
Norwegian CK book reprints *everything* except 3 covers of the first reprint
editions.)

DON: can you answer questions #1, #2, and #3?

Now back to Disney comics...

--Harry.