Correction (WDC 52)

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Tue Apr 17 20:58:44 CEST 2001

Today, I wrote about WDC 52:

> According to Matti Eronen's book "Surviving Comic Book Art", this page
> survived only because a very eager Donald Duck strip reader wrote to
> Dell Publishing in 1940s and asked for any original Donald Duck strip.
> The point was that he had read newspaper strips, which were drawn by
> Al Taliaferro. Later these two half pages were sold and resold as
> Taliaferro's art, until someone noticed the real artist. On the lower
> half-page there is one correction. Barks has at first drawn stitches on
> the live rat and corrected them on the toy rat (in panel 5.6).

I checked the Carl Barks Library and I think Matti Eronen must have
meant that page *4* survived (instead of page 5).

Reasons:
- The page is shown in his book, identified as page 5, while it's
  page 4 in The Carl Barks Library (set 6, page 228).
- Panel 5.6 doesn't show any rats or stitches at all.
  Panel 4.6 (with dialogue "There he comes!") shows the toy rat and
  the real rat's head.

Best wishes,

--- Daniel