square egg story ... from 1924

Lunnan & Hjort brit.lunnan at chello.no
Wed Apr 18 11:02:18 CEST 2001

Did you know? I guess Barks didn't.

I quite like Saki: "Macabre, acid and very funny, Saki's work
drives a knife into the upper crust of English Edwardian life",
according to the book I have with his short stories.
Saki is the pseudonym (taken from the last stanza of "The
Ruba'iyat of Omar Khayyam", another classic) of English
author Hector Hugo Munro, born 1870 in Burma.

Anyway, I recommend the short story called "The Square Egg"
from 1924, and not only because its affinity to the 1949 Barks
classic (almost) everyone on this list knows [and therefore also
to the 1989 Rosa follow-up story, which also deserves to
become a classic].

Nils Lid Hjort