DCML digest, Vol 1 #483 - 15 msgs

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Wed Apr 18 11:28:47 CEST 2001

SOREN:

> I just wondered
> why most of those volunteers (two hundreds members or so) seem to be
> mere archaeologists.

Because we are fascinated by the arcaheological element of many of Barks'
and Don's stories?

Seriously, I think that the main reason we mostly talk about the stories
of these two artists is that we have *all* read them. I'm fairly certain
that if you conduct a poll asking list members with which artists they
are familiar, you would get 100% for Barks, Rosa, and (maybe) Scarpa,
and smaller scores for everybody else.

> Younger American artists like Noel van Horn are
> never mentioned on this list either--his Goofy being extremely well
> drawn BTW.

I sincerely hope that he has improved with time, because I found his
version of Goofy, published during Gladstone's last days, pretty horrible!
(There! I'm talking about an artist other than the big two!)

> I certainly would like to do so, but who cares if I find Valerio Held a
> genious or likewise. It doesn't have any effect, since no one knows
> this guy anyway (except for a few Italians). Similarly, I think that
> Antonio Bancells might be one of the worst artists ever, taking into
> consideration the emmence influence he has had (and still has) on Egmont
> material for decades.

Who are Valerio and Antonio Bancells? Why do you think the former is
a genius and the latter one of the worst artists ever? (And why do you
assume that nobody cares about the subject?) Can you provide sample scans
for those of us who are either unfamiliar with their work, or do not
associate their names with their respective style?

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"Fame is the accumulation of misunderstandings around a well-known name."
-----