Rumpus , Scans , Super Picsou Géant , Gottfredson

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Thu Apr 19 23:44:23 CEST 2001

Thanks for the info about Rumpus' later user, Olaf!

Fabio:
>>an advice... use uncrompessed format like BMP; the JPG format create error
>>diffusion. In alternative use professional software like as Photoshop, CorelDraw, ecc.
I know it, but thanks anyway.
Well, I partly discussed it in the previous mail, before reading yours.
I understand you're pretty much into this, so the following is rather intended for other
list members. I'm not a professional, and don't pretend to give lessons to anyone.
The following is based on my experience and may help readers unfamiliar with computer
images understand what we're talking about.
bmp:    Great for drawings. The basic way to code images. And the hugest files...
jpg:      Great for photos. Compresses them. Provided it's not a picture of  one simple object
             and a very simple background, the compression won't alter your image-- I mean, it
             certainly does, but you don't see it unless you focus on the details & sharpness.
gif:        Less colors than jpg, but can still take more space. But great for b&w images.
antialias:    Computer images are pixels. A line becomes a stair. To smoothen the effect,
                   anti-alias adds adjacent pixels of  a lighter / darker color. It also happens
                    when the image is compressed and opened again or when you rotate it.

Super Picsou Géant:
I can't tell exactly (should have a look at those I have), but it's been years since I last
bought one (well at that time it was my mommy who bought them... I don't know why, but
it's Le Journal de Mickey, Picsou Magazine, Mickey Parade, or Mickey Poche which I still
have most issues of)!
Well, this afternoon I bought SPG 102 (April 2001)!
194 pages of  comics & games.
I just got to thumb through it (nope, not at the hairdresser's, in a supermarket). Actually, it
didn't take much thumbing through to decide to buy it: pp 4 & 5 (first page of  the first story)
were enough.
The story is "Donald Quichotte". No story code, no name.
I don't know it and haven't had time to read it yet, but immediately recognized the art.
I like the stories this artist does. He's on the list I told you I wanted to enquire about.
I have two great story by him in my oldest Mickey Parade (can't put my hand on it right now;
it must be '85 or perhaps '82; the one with an orange cover, Donald with his hand on a sword
and a laughing dragon in the background), inspired from German legends-- the Niebelungen,
the Gold of  the Rhine, Siegried. Does this sound familiar? (not the legend, the comic)
38-p story. Don't want to look at it too much before reading it but thumbinh through it
half-looking at it with one half-open eye, I can see Donald, Scrooge and the nephews-- and Goofy!
Anyone knows who the artist is?
There's also another great story (different artist) I am fond of, very loosely based on the Illiad:
Gladstone steals Uncle Scrooge's magic chessboard: you put one rice seed (?) on the first
case, and it multiplies on the 63 others; on each case x appear 2^n grains (?) (what's the word
for one rice thing?) (From a Chinese story: it's the reward a wise man asked the emperor; the latter
thought it would amount to a mere bagful; but the total amount is astronomical). Scrooge
convinces Donald to help him chase the thief; in fact, Donald thinks Gladstone kidnapped Daisy.
And there was Goofy in this story too. Rings a bell? I'll look for the story codes.

Fabio & David:
I love Gottfredson & Taliaferro as much as Barks & Don Rosa.
Mickey has evolved quite a lot through the hands / pens of  the different script writers,
and I like them all about equally, but I do have a preference for the Walsh period, what with
its weird characters (in terms of  characterization & art) and its imaginative plots
and spooky encounters (he literally met real ghosts).
(And to link this with the ducks:)
I love the first part of  "House of Haunts" (U$ 63, May '66) when Uncle Scrooge believes
he's a ghost. I really regret it only lasts 2 pages: it was such a great plot idea!

Back to work before going to bed...

Olivier