Barksisms in everyday life

Donald Markstein dmarkstein at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 20 01:24:20 CEST 2001

Olivier:

> Say, why don't you erase the names of  Barks and Rosa and Disney at the
bottom
> and write yours and try to make people believe *you're* the genius?
>
> Oh. I know.
>
> A big company might just sue you for your back teeth...

Got a big grin out of that Barksism -- even bigger, since I used the same
one just a few weeks ago. A contractor working on my ceilings had spewed
plaster droplets on lampshades, shoes and other inappropriate places, before
getting to my office. So there I was, glaring at him through crimson
eyeballs, smoke pouring out of my ears, telling him through clenched teeth
that if he got one tiny molecule of the stuff on the beautiful office
furniture I inherited from my father, I was going to sue him for his back
teeth...

He got the point.

I use Barksisms in everyday life all the time, such as "Of all the things I
DON"T need, [fill in useless item] is the MOST!" And I'm not the only one in
my family. One of my favorite stories of that kind happened when my
daughter, Karen, was about 5 or so (she's now 17, and still savors good
wordplay). I'd been reading Uncle Scrooge to her at bedtime. She responded
to some incredible sight with "Oh, my aching eyeballs!" Everybody laughed,
but I was the only one who knew where she got it.

Aside from being an excellent artist and storyteller, Barks could really
turn a phrase. Who else uses stuff like that?

Today in Toons: Every day's an anniversary. What's today?
http://www.toonopedia.com/today.htm