Introducktion and current production

Petri Kanninen pkannine at cc.hut.fi
Fri Apr 20 14:36:14 CEST 2001

Hi!

This is my second message here and I thought an introducktion would be
nice. So here we go:
My name is Petri Kanninen and I'm a 20-year-old chemistry student from
Finland. I was first introduced to Disney comics very small. I can't
remember how old I was but my grandparents subscripted Aku Ankka (Finnish
weekly) and as long as I remember I have been watching/reading them. They
had started the subscription for my aunt around 1970, so they had mighty
archive through witch I went a couple of times. But Aku Ankka was not the
thing for me. After all they were my grandparents' and I could read them
only when we visited them. The thing that really rocked my world where the
pocket books. I still remember (or at least I think I remember) the
morning when I found a pocket book next to my bed. After that it was all
comics for me. I started buying these pocket books myself, but as I was
only 6 years old I didn't have much money of my own. So every bought
pocket book was a treasure to me. I read through them many times and
actually my first memory of reading is a story from the pocket books (I TL
1334-B, to be exact). When I had slowly gathered a full collection of
them, I didn't stop. I started collecting another series and another and
so on. So today I own most of the Disney-comics published in Finland (not
counting the weekly). Although I now subscripe to Aku Ankka I still think
of it as secondary publications after the pocket books. So my love for
pocket books hasn't subsided (I'll probably be buried with them) as one
can notice if he follows the link in my signature. The site is in Finnish
but there is a short "What is this site" -article in English. I have also
indexed a few issues to Inducks.

So that about history. What do I like now? The golden oldies of course
Barks, Gottfredson and Scarpa and not-so-oldie-but-golden-anyway Rosa.
They form my top four and there is absolutely no way I could put them in
any order (except alphabetical).

Next on my line are Italian comics. As I grew with them they have the
splendor in my eyes that can overcome the not-the-best-possible quality.
The names Carpi, Bottaro, Martina, Asteriti, De Vita (Massimo that is),
Cimino, Gatto, Cavazzano and a dozen of later artists whose names I don't
remeber right now. But then again there are artists that I have never
liked one bit like Perego, Pier Lorenzo De Vita, Luciano Capitanio
(especially his duck-stories, his mouse is a lot better) and Giancarlo
Gatti. It was a fun thing to notice that when Finnish pocket books printed
a couple of Gatti's recent stories (Nonno Bassotto e la disonestà
inopportuna I TL 2169-2 and Paperoga e la giornata da star I TL 2177-3)
his style had changed so much that I almost liked it.

Well after the the Italians comes Egmont (excluding Rosa, Scarpa and
Rota). Their stories just don't inspire me. It's probably because their
stories too much alike. All Donald stories feel like they are by Vicar and
the plots feel like they've been used a hundred times. Italian stories
have more personality to them. I'm more a watcher then a reader. I mean
that I enjoy a well drawn story with a weak plot more than a badly drawn
story with a good plot. And Egmont's Mickey stories... I don't know where
the idea to put his red shorts back on came but I don't like it one bit.
That's something from the 30's. And suddenly he became something more like
a second Donald. It's not the Mickey I grew with. Oh well, perhaps I'll
get used to it some day. One good artist has caught my eye and that is
Flemming Andersen. He is like van Horn, only funner and better. Even
Rosa's stories don't make laugh so much as couple of his best stories
(Caution - Artist at Work D 97466 and The Grapes of Wrath D 95114). He
doesn't write his stories but he does have to affect the scripts somehow
because the humor in the stories is so well in tune with his drawings.

Finally we get to the bottom of things with S-coded and Westerns non-Barks
comics. Most of them plainly bore me. There are few exceptions like some
of Murry's stories and some Little Bad Wolf stories, but mainly I don't
like them a bit. Perhaps I should read more of them to really understand
them but I usually find something better to do then that.

I can't say much of Brasilian ja French comics because we don't see them a
lot if Finland but I sure would like to read them.
Okay, perhaps that was enough for one day. Now I'll go and buy the new
pocket book and perhaps return to write something about it after the
weekend.

--
Petri Kanninen (pkannine at cc.hut.fi)
"Elämä muodostaa komplekseja."