Fandom (and Uncle Scrooge)

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sat Apr 21 17:53:13 CEST 2001

HARRY FLUKS to ANDERS SIVEBAEK, 9 APRIL 2001:

> I *am* the kind of fan who likes some of the things he did. Even more: I
> like *most* of the things he did! But I also *dislike* some of the
> things he did.
>
> And because I'm a fan, my "disliking" is more irritating to me. If
> I weren't a fan, I could simply ignore the things I don't like...

Well, Harry, I think I am the same kind of fan as you.

> This goes for Rosa, but also for Barks, Jippes, Mike Oldfield, Marc
> Uytterhoeven, Angus Deayton, etc. etc...

I was *very* happy to hear that outtakes of The Beatles would finally be
released as three 2CDs, only to find out that these outtakes were cut up,
cross-faded with other outtakes, etc. This made me *very* disappointed.

The same for Barks-stories which were censored or changed in their
reprints.

There are many more important things to be happy or disappointed about.
Maybe I should already be happy that I have a good health, or whatever,
but sorry, my fandom doesn't work that way.

Maybe Uncle Scrooge can be seen as a visualisation of fandom? Even though
he already is the richest duck in the world, he's still very disappointed
if he misses that one more treasure he's searching for.

And if he looses some money, it's already a disaster for him. Well, I would
feel the same way if I would destroy only one of my many comics by spoiling
coffee over it, for example.

Therefore, I can very well imagine that Scrooge doesn't want Donald and the
nephews swimming through his money. I have the same feeling when someone is
browsing through my comics with a glass of juice in his hands. ;-)

Best wishes,

--- Daniel

"I guess most folks are still pretty relaxed at 6:30 A.M.!"
(Which one? Hint: salesman/peddler)