DCML digest, Vol 1 #496 - 15 msgs

Dan Shane danshane at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 21 18:29:11 CEST 2001

> > I hereby dub thee...
> > TROLL!
> > And we all know what to do with trolls, eh?  No more munchies.
>
> I've had more than enough of all the offending abusive language on
> this mailing list.
>

> Best wishes,
>
> --- Daniel

A CLARIFICATION:

Hi Daniel,

If by offensive language you mean the word "troll", I should probably offer
a definition that some list members may require.  On Internet newsgroups,
"troll" has become a quite common term to identify someone who purposely
arouses the ire of other people by making statements that he or she knows
will start a "flame war."

Perhaps some Europeans make the connection with the trolls of Norse
mythology, and for that reason think my term might have been meant as verbal
abuse.  I can assure you that I meant nothing of the kind -- it was only my
intention to brand the repeated posts of Mr. Toti-Totti as "trollish", and
thereby unworthy of further direct comment.

The expression "please don't feed the trolls", a friendly reminder
constantly appearing whenever a troll does, is a simple way of telling
everyone not to fuel the fire that trolls get started.  Just ignoring the
trolls seems to be the best remedy, as they tend to feed on hate and anger.

--
Dan Shane
(danshane at bellsouth.net)