DCML digest, Vol 1 #499 - 12 msgs

teemu.merikumpu@suomi24.fi teemu.merikumpu at suomi24.fi
Sun Apr 22 23:20:33 CEST 2001

Ok, I worded my message poorly. Instead of asking wheather people felt insulted
when ther sites were stolen I meant if they felt hurt.
anyhow..

Dan Shane wrote:
<<There is a great deal of difference when the author of a site is not
credited, or worse, when the thief claims the work as his own. And the
argument that stealing information is a "victimless crime" is all wet.
Theft is theft, no matter the damage. Ignoring it will not excuse it or
correct it.>>

My argument wasn't that information theft is victemless crime. I'll use
my own site as an example (yes, it is a shameless promotion of my own, un-comic-related
site, I apologize. http://www.geocities.com/nordicnurse :-) .
I have several photos on my site that I took from Newcastle. If someone
were to copy them, display them as their own etc. I couldn't care less.
They are there for everyone's enjoyment. I don't care if people enjoy those
pics on my site or on some else's. As long as they enjoy them.
But if I were a professional photographer and someone were steal my work
I would hang said person from his balls (or any external part of their anatomy).

My point is to set the purpose of site and the act of theft in relation
with each other. I don't think that person who seeks to distribute information
via his/her site should be offended if that information is copied and displayed
somewhere else (agreed, it would be polite to credit that work to the person
responsible but failing that is nothing more than (extremely) rude.
On the other hand, if the purpose of the site is to display maintainer's
personal knowledge or to be in any way profitable theft of such information
is the worst kind of crime one perform over the net.

That wasn't altogether clear, was it? Well, as this thread is so off topic
I won't comment this matter futher unless anyone complitely missuderstands
my point.

And now for something complitely different: mr. Rosa, what are working on
currently? Last time I heard you were working on Panama related story. But
you have probably finished that long time ago.

Teemu