Copyrights

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Mon Apr 23 18:17:46 CEST 2001

ANDERS SIVEBAEK (to me?), 22-04-2001:

> Keeping out of mind, that it at one time affected the page I contribute
> to myself, it has been quite humouristic, to read the many lists in the
> last days.

I found the copyright discussion itself very interesting.

I think that one thing hasn't been pointed out in that discussion:
*anyone* who uses scans of material he hasn't drawn/written himself,
without official permission, should already think about being a thief or
not.

Whether are not making scans/xeroxes available is a *moral* theft is not
important for the copyright laws if the owner of that material becomes
angry.

And if someone decides to steal that scan, then it's just a stolen picture
being stolen *again*. That's not an opinion. That's part of the copyright
laws we're defending.

As it seems to turn out nowadays, even *linking* to a site with copyrighted
material is seen as copyright infringement by some judges.

I hope that forbidding links won't become part of copyright laws. Otherwise
we might get this discussion again, but then about linking:
"Hey! Someone has stolen my site's address and he copied it onto his site!"

Having copyright laws is a good thing, but by referring to it, one might
miss the parts which might cut his own fingers.

Best wishes,

--- Daniel