Scrooge being death or alive

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Fri Apr 27 12:50:25 CEST 2001

OLAF SOLSTRAND, 15-04-2001:

> By the way, did $crooge die in 1967?

Depends on what you believe. :-) In panel 15.3 of Barks' 1994 script-only
"Horsing Around With History" (D 94003), one nephew tells Scrooge:
"Bottled mail will never replace FAX!"

This would mean that Scrooge has at least lived long enough to know about
the invention of the fax machine. If so, then Scrooge must be very,
*very* old.

For "in real life" explanations of Scrooge's old age, these Barks stories
may be possible candidates, though (as far as I know) not intended as such:

US 32 - That's No Fable
 Scrooge drinks from the fountain of youth. It doesn't seem to make Scrooge
 look younger, but maybe it has given him at least some extra decades?

Go Slowly Sands Of Time (illustrated story, 1981)
 Scrooge follows the advice of the old people of the Vale of Khunza.
 (A comic book version of this story, coded D 6856, based on Barks' story
 outline, has been published in "Uncle Scrooge" No. 216, 1987.)

OS 178 - Christmas on Bear Mountain
 In this and other stories with early Scrooge appearances, Scrooge seems
 to look much older than in later stories.

Again, it just depends on what one decides to believe. For me, personally,
Uncle Scrooge is still alive today.

Best wishes,

--- Daniel