Pocket Books: do you remember?

Kenneth Glendinning neth80 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 29 09:13:20 CEST 2001

       Hey Vic!

>I seem to remember that on one occasion
>she brought a similar pocket size Disney comic, but
>actually in English...translations of  European Disney
>strips...she bought three or four of them...they
>looked new...I believe she might have bought them in
>Woolworths...
>
>Of course, over the years, the comics vanished....
>
>Does anyone else remember these comics? I'd sure like
>to find them again....a failed experiment, maybe?

>        You got it.
>       The comic you remember is the "Donald Duck Fun Library," a >100-page
>pocketbook published in Britain in the late 1970s. It was the British
>equivalent to the Scandinavian Onkel Joakim/Onkel Skrue, which is
> >published
>to this day (and to the German Donald Duck, which stopped a couple of
> >years
>ago). I have never seen one of these for sale on the open market, >even
>when
>I lived in the UK, but we do have bound-together file copies here at
> >Egmont,
>so I know we published it.
>In 1981, there were also thicker Disney comics in Britain when two
>(?) issues of "Jumbo Book" were published. They are 256-page >pocketbooks,
>equivalent to the Danish Jumbobog and German Lustiges Taschenbuch >(among
>others). I guess these weren't a success - pity, as one of the two
> >contains
>some of Scarpa's *very* best stories.

>       David

Funny that you talk about that (Donald Duck Fun Library).
I have a copy of it that I have wondered about for a while now on the inside
it say's that it is published in Italy but the digest book is in English it
is a 96 pager dose any on know any more about these books?

Kenneth

http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/ken2/index.html