The future in the mid-1950s

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sun Apr 29 19:26:29 CEST 2001

OLAF SOLSTRAND, 16-04-2001:

> I love Carl Barks/Don Rosa, but I think there should be more story
> writers like them - who 1) write comics in the mid-50's, where $crooge
> can be alive and the time prospect can be correct,

Barks' stories seem to take place at the same time as they were created.
For example, his 1960s stories refer to events taking place in the 1960s.

Do you see these 1960s stories as taking place in the mid-1950s as well,
or were you referring to Barks' mid-1950s stories only? And, if referring
to his mid-1950s stories only, do you see his 1960s stories as taking place
in the future?

I'm curious how people who prefer the timeline theory look at this.

In a 12-page Donald Duck 60th anniversary story by Mau Heijmans (H 94088),
written by Jos Beekman and Frans Hasselaar, Donald wakes up in the future,
30 years after the story's present tense. More about this in the spoiler at
the end of this email.

So, apparently it IS possible to write a story which takes place in the
future, with Disney characters having grown older. For example, by dreams
but also by time traveling.

Maybe there are some useful scientifical theories about time-traveling?
I've heard of one which states that one will need to travel faster than
light to get a time-travel effect, or something like that. I think another
one had to do with (black?) holes in the universe.

In general, I'm not very fond of dreams as storyline. I like it in
"In Old California" (OS 328) and the above mentioned Heijmans story, but
I've never been very fond of the dream endings in "The Firebug" (OS 108)
and the Mount Demontooth story (WDC 157). As a kid, these endings looked
forced to me. So, I was happy to learn that these stories were both
originally drawn as taking place in reality.

With time traveling, the future doesn't need to be dream, because the
future can be "changed" in the present. (Though there are people who
think this is not possible, stating that the future is pre-destinated.)

I'm wondering if there are theories about time being the 4th dimension
(or higher). I once read in a magazine that a round 3 dimensional ball
going through a flat 2 dimensional universe, would be experienced as a
spot suddenly appearing, getting bigger and then suddenly getting
smaller before it disappears completely again. Creatures living in this
2 dimensional world, won't have the slightest idea to explain that
strange miracle. Maybe time does the same with us?

Best wishes,

--- Daniel

*** H 94088 SPOILER ***
The nephews have grown up. Neighbour Jones, the Beagle Boys, Gladstone,
Daisy and Gus Goose are shown as being much older. Grandma Duck and Uncle
Scrooge are not literally mentioned as being death, but the story does hint
that this is the case. Donald turns out to be Scrooge's heir, because
Scrooge has gone to Siberia to search for gold. Grandma has gone to the old
people's home, making Gus Goose the leader of the farm.
*** END OF SPOILER ***