KOMIX #155

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Mon Apr 30 09:10:50 CEST 2001

Here's what's in this month's issue of Komix:

* Cover by Carl Barks, part of Barks's lithograph "A 1934 Belchfire
  Runabout"!  I have put a scan in
  http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis/komix155.jpg
* A two-page letters column.

  In one letter, a reader asks them, why the magazine's title is KOMIX
  rather than COMICS (substitute the appropriate kappas, xis, and other
  Greek letters here), and since he's offering the suggestion that this
  might have been done so that they could play with words using the
  magazine's title, the editors quickly grabbed it, saying that yes,
  that's why they named their magazine this way, and that everywhere
  else people should use the correct spelling, comics, as found in two
  modern dictionaries, which they mention by name. It is interesting
  to note that when I pointed the same thing to them a while back, my
  letter was ignored. As for playing with words, the only word-play I
  can thing of using the magazine's title is, when I go to a kiosk and
  ask for Komix, I usually get a blank stare, followed by "which one?",
  and this does not involve the odd spelling.

  In another letter, Anders Christian send his greetings to his friends in
  Greece. The editors express their hope that the greetings are received--
  they were, indeed!

* A three page "news of Komix" page. Notable items are the publication of
  Don's "Captain Kentucky" and "The Pertwillaby Papers" (translated
  literally, as "sheets of paper", rather than "documents"!), the
  closing of the deal with Sergio Aragones to have some of his stories
  presented in Komix (this wasn't an April Fools' gag, after all--I
  wonder if printing non-Disney material in a Disney comic book is
  allowed/desirable), and a new book titled "Romano Scarpa--Sognando
  la Calidornia", containing the catalog of the Torino Comics 2001
  exhibition, along with articles by Alberto Becatini, Luca Bosci,
  Leonardo Gori, and Andrea Sani, all of whose names I've probably
  mangled beyond recognition.

* Don's "Recalled Wreck" (AR 105), with a Greek title of "Jalopy, My
  Love", which I assume refers to the Greek version of the title of the
  movie "The Love Bug", which was "Bug, My Love".

* A three-page article titled "An American in Europe", subtitled
  "Walt Disney's European inspiration".

* A three-page article titled "From Metropolis to Duckburg", subtitled
  "Jerry Siegel in Carl Barks' territory".

* "La Fuga del Bilione" (J261A), drawn by Georgio Cavazzano and written
  by Jerry Siegel, the creator of Superman!

Speaking about April Fools' day gags, they only mentioned the one where
they changed the price in Euros of last month's issue from 2.05 Euros
to 295 euros. Interestingly enough, this month's Euro equivalent is
given as 2 Euros.  This is less than 700 drachmas, which is the price
of Komix in local currency.  With all the confusion that switching to
the Euro in a few months is going to cause, all we need is some wise
guy thinking that he can use the double price display to make jokes,
instead of helping people getting acquainted with the new currency. :(

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"Can you get us down?"