selling important Barks documents on ebay

Donald D. Ault donaldault at pop.net
Thu Aug 9 09:11:17 CEST 2001

Thanks to Daniel van Eijmeren's update on ebay item number 1174976297, we
all know about the interesting latter Carl Barks wrote in the 1970s,
including the important comment Carl made about not drawing the Ducks just
from the "outside." I'm surprised that sellers want to part with such
letters, and I sincerely hope that anyone who is in possession of such
letters at least makes GOOD photocopies and preferably scans of these
letters (unlike the barely legible ones currently on ebay) before scattering
them to the four winds. As complete a record as possible of Carl's
correspondence should eventually be available for scholars, and my
understanding is that the fate of Carl's papers (including his letters, pay
receipts, inventions, etc.) is very uncertain. I did everything I could to
impress on Carl himself the importance of his correspondence (he kept carbon
copies and often  multiple rough drafts of all of his letters), but at the
moment it's very unclear how that bulk of material (which is reportedly
still in tact) will be disposed of.

Donald Ault
Professor of English
University of Florida