DCML digest #635

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Thu Aug 16 14:31:09 CEST 2001

From: "John Crocker" <John.Crocker at student.oc.edu>
>>>My recollection of the relationship of Huey, Dewey, and Louie in the
family is that they are Donald's sister's sons.  Thus, they are Donald's
nephews and not in Daisy's family.
Feel free to "shoot me down" if my information is blatantly incorrect.

Your information is correct. It's your assumptions which are incorrect.
I was squirming in my seat when my good friend was saying that he "accepts"
my decision that Daisy Duck is the aunt of HD&L. That is something I have
in my notes, and I might eventually decide to put it "officially" (?) into
a story (even then making it only something "true" in my version of this
Universe, and not at all necessarily in anyone else's)... but I might just
as easily eventually decide I don't like the idea after all. It was
suggested to me by numerous Duckfans over the years, based on the fact that
HD&L have always called Daisy "Aunt Daisy" (which admittedly may or may not
mean a thing) and the interesting idea of having Daisy as a member of the
extended Donald Duck family.
But you are certainly wrong to say "thus, they are Donald's nephews and not
in Daisy's family". Their mother was Donald's sister, yes, but they also
had a father, right? And that father could be Daisy's brother. There is
nothing in one fact that rules out the other in any way... everyone has two
sides to their family (except in some Kentucky marriages, but let's not get
into that again).
Anyway, I'm not saying I'll someday ultimately decide that Daisy is HD&L's
aunt... but such a relationship *is* perfectly possible.