Daisy & HDL / the name DUCK

Olaf Solstrand harryklein at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 17 13:56:59 CEST 2001

From: "Don Rosa" <donrosa at iglou.com>

(note: when I say "you" in the first part of this mail, I refer to Don Rosa)

>...in my seat when my good friend was saying...

"my good friend", is that ment me?

My English knowledge just flew out of the window... what does "squirmed"
mean?

>That is something I have in my notes, and I might eventually
>decide to put it "officially" (?) into a story (even then
>making it only something "true" in my version of this
>Universe, and not at all necessarily in anyone else's)...
>but I might just as easily eventually decide I don't like
>the idea after all. It was suggested to me by numerous
>Duckfans over the years, based on the fact that HD&L have
>always called Daisy "Aunt Daisy" (which admittedly may or
>may not mean a thing) and the interesting idea of having
>Daisy as a member of the extended Donald Duck family.

As you (D.R.) know, I have never discussed this with you PERSONALLY.
Therefor, what I define to be "your" opinions, is what I find that you have
said on various fan pages. And this "fact" - that Daisy's brother is HDL's
father - is spread out all over the Internet (at least on duckhunt.de , one
of my favorite pages on the internet). I'm working on my new website now,
and when I was working on this I started thinking on Daisy's family... It
would be good to know whether she IS HDL's aunt or not, at least in *MY*
Duck Universe. Therefor I decided that no matter what the "official" version
is, she IS in *my* universe. At least until the day I see a *good* story
which somehow publishes the FACT that she's NOT. In that case, I'll CHANGE
my universe. It's as easy as that. More reasons for why I believe in this
later in this mail.

>everyone has two sides to their family (except in some
>Kentucky marriages, but let's not get into that again).

I feel that joining this list has given me lots of new and exciting
information about Kentucky. I have to go there sometime soon...

You mention that everything that you write is YOUR Duck-Universe, and that
we have no special reasons to agree with you if we don't like it. But I feel
that your Duck-Universe is a very good Duck-Universe. The main reason for
that is all your research, all your CB knowledge... Therefor, many of the
opinions in your Duck-universe are automatically adopted in many other
universes. As for the thing with all stories finding place in the 1950's, I
like that as well. In the beginning (when I found out, I actually didn't
find out before I read "the three cabarellos ride again" and found the
railroad under construction) I wasn't too fond of it, thinking of that it
means that Scrooge is dead today (aah! Scrooge! dead?). But, if one should
think logical, your opinion about this must be correct. And, since you are
about the ONLY person which has made years of birth with this time system, I
automatically accept and adopt your years of birth. So, I like most of your
opinions, even though they may not be "official".

From: "John Crocker" <John.Crocker at student.oc.edu>
>Furthermore, I think, though it seems reasonabe to follow last names
>in this research, it quickly becomes obvious that the last name Duck
>is probably very common.  I expect that it is even more common than
>the last name Smith in America.  (I'm not sure what names are most
>common in Europe).  Anyway, I state this b/c I don't believe that
>Daisy and Donald (both having the last name Duck) are closely related.

Yes, it's obvious that Duck is a common name in Duckburg. But that doesn't
mean that EVERYBODY has it. The most common name in Norway is Hansen. Still,
among my friends, not so many have that name. My best friend has the name
Hansen. His brother/sister/mother/father/uncle/cousins has the last name
Hansen. Except from that ONE family, I know (personally) ONE girl named
Hansen - plus one guy named Hanssen and his grandmother. The name is
therefor not THAT ordinary - even though it's the most common name in
Norway. And how common IS the "Duck" name really in Duckburg? From the
persons we know in Duckburg, who has that name?
- Donald, Abner, Quackmore, Eider, Daphne, Humperdink and Pintail has it.
Hortense and Elvira got the Duck-name through marriage.
- Daisy has it. April, May and June has it.
- Moby Duck (the whale-hunter) has it.
- Huey, Dewey and Louie has it. Therefor it's obvious that their father and
his entire family has it.

That's not many, according how many people and names we've seen in Duckburg
- McDuck, Coot, Goose, Gander, Gearloose, Beagle, Drake, Rockerduck,
McBridge... It seems that Duck is the MOST common name, but that doesn't
make it THAT ordinary. Therefor, I like to use last names in my research.
Therefor, I find it a good possibility that Daisy's brother could be HDL's
father. Therefor, I find it a good possibility that Moby Duck is Daisy's
father. Therefor, I find it not only possible, but quite obvious, that Daisy
has a BROTHER which is the father of AMJ, not a sister which is their
mother.

So long.

-olaf-