DCML digest, Vol 1 #637 - 13 msgs

Sue and Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Mon Aug 20 02:19:51 CEST 2001

John Garvin, concerning the Carl Barks Tribute panel at San Diego:

> Can someone who attended this give us a report on it?  Who was there?
> What was said?  Anything interesting?  Thanks,

Susan and I were there, and here's not so much a report as an impression:

Bruce Hamilton, Russ Cochran, Don Rosa, Byron Erickson, Russell Myers, and
E. C. Harvey made up the panel, with Mark Evanier officiating. What was most
interesting to Susan and me was seeing Bruce, Russ, and Byron all in one
place for one purpose, honoring the Duck Man. These three men were the
lynchpins in the Another Rainbow/Gladstone story, making the Carl Barks
Library and the Gladstone Disney comics possible, but they've gone their
very separate ways since.

We'd arrived a few minutes after the panel had started, and heard anecdotes
we'd pretty much heard before. (Even Bruce's announcements about the
impending comics license and the new Fine Art of Walt Disney's Donald Duck
book were rather old news to us.) But most folks there hadn't, and were very
keen and attentive as the panelists gave of their memories and experiences
in the time they had. In fact, though the place wasn't packed by any means,
we thought the panel was surprisingly well attended, with such notables as
Anna Maria Vind, Bob Foster, and John Lustig, among others, in the audience.
Considering the state of things here in America, it was probably as decent a
tribute to Carl Barks in that venue as one could hope for.

And in case anyone's wondering: Yes, the license does appear to be on the
verge of happening, and a new, revised edition of the Fine Art book is in
the planning stages, so some good things may finally actually happen. We'd
just advise everyone to keep in mind that it's taken over two-and-a-half
years to get to this point, and even yet no one seems to know exactly what
point's been reached.

Gary Leach