barks paintings

Gerd Syllwasschy gsy at megatel.de
Mon Dec 10 17:27:01 CET 2001

> From: HorizonHse at aol.com
> Date:   Mon, 10 Dec 2001 02:20:24 EST
> Subject: Re: DCML digest, Vol 1 #761 - 4 msgs - barks paintings
> To: dcml at stp.ling.uu.se
>
> hi,
>
> barks completed at least 3 oil paintings after 1994:
>
> 1. "eureka a goose egg nugget" which became the basis of a porcelain
> sculpture done by giuseppe armani in an edition of 3000. at least 3 copies of
> the sculpture are on ebay currently
>
> 2. "merry christmas" which became the basis of a lithograph done by
> dreidreizehn. i think it's still available from them.
>
> 3. "heat wave" an oil painting begun much earlier which became the basis of a
> lithograph distributed at one of the disneyana conventions.

Actually, there are at least 4 additional Duck oil paintings:

1. "Happy Hour", 1995/1996, a Scrooge portrait, unpublished.
2. "I Wonder What My Fortune Cookie Says", 1996/1997, published in a
Dreidreizehn Ölgemäldekalender, also released as a lithograph.
3. "Old Castle Secret", 1996/1997, published in a Dreidreizehn
Ölgemäldekalender.
4. "Scrooge Smokewriting Dollar Signs", 1997, unpublished.

Plus a handful of Duck watercolors most of which have been published as
lithographs.

> i don't know how involved he was in creating the sculptures based on "luck of
> the north," flubbity dubbity duffer," "far out safari" and the rest that were
> on display at his 95th birthday party. any information about these out there?

I'm not sure, either, to what extent Barks himself was involved in all
those porcelaine and bronze figurines which were released by the "Carl
Barks Studio". It would be interesting to get more information on this
topic.

Greetings,
Gerd

(Is this my first posting on this list? Hi, everybody!)