Silent Night

bi442@lafn.org bi442 at lafn.org
Thu Dec 13 05:39:38 CET 2001

Regarding the new first half page of Barks' rejected 1945 Christmas story:
I'm very curious to see Daan Jippes drawing (and his and David G.'s new layout
and dialogue.  I'm glad that Daan drew it, as in addition to being my favourite
artist, I believe he is the best at mimicing Barks' style throughout the
various eras and style changes. Yes Anders, - please make a scan of my original
available.  I DO have a scanner, but don't know how (nor have time) to make it
available on a website. I would love to get a copy of a German, Scandinavian or
Finnish issue.

Anders reference to the timing of my conversation with Carl Barks regarding
what he placed on that half page may have been misleading.  It took place in
1969 (long before the 9 1/2 pages were published by Another Rainbow). I drew my
version in 1985. Michel Nadorp drew his final version in 1986. I first started
talking to Carl about his unpublished work in 1966. Each of the complete
unpublished stories, and several-page unpublished story segments popped up in
subsequent conversations throughout 1966-1973 (when I had significant contact
with him). I did ask him some of the same questions again years later, and by
then, he definately remembered less details.

Rob Klein