WWII

Shaun Craill scraill at methven.net
Thu Feb 1 19:51:15 CET 2001

Hi everyone,

One of the other problems with stories taking place in and around WWII is the use of symbols.  I submitted an U$ Antarctica story idea once which took place around 1937 (if memory serves me correctly).  In one sequence there was a reference to a real historical event where a German exploration team flew an aircraft over the continent and threw brass swastikas out the window to claim a large chunk of Antarctica for the 3rd Reich.

It was pointed out to me that this was a no go area because swastikas are illegal in some Disney comic countries (Germany and Israel I think), and the symbols were just too emotional and political to use.

The only way I can see a story taking place during WWII is if history gets modified somewhat, the countries involved are fictional (like Brutopia) and the actual fighting is taking place somewhere just over the horizon in the background.

Didn't Barks do a U$ story in a South East Asian war setting in what must have been a direct reference to the Vietnam War?

Shaun