5 fingers in Christmas for Shacktown ?

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Fri Feb 2 23:13:27 CET 2001

FRANCOIS WILLOT to me, 29-01-2001:

> [panel 27.7] Well, it's right there are only four fingers. But the
> way they are drawn, it is clear that none of them can reasonably
> be the thumb (or Donald would have something horribly broken).
> In fact the thumb can only be somewhere behind the three folded
> fingers and that means he has "five" fingers in this particular
> panel.

I also noticed that the hand looks a bit strange and I agree with
your thought about it. Still, I would not count this panel as one
with a fifth finger. My reason for this is that there is no fifth
finger *shown*. I mean, it could also be a panel containing an odd
(four finger) hand.

Are there examples of stories which really do show a fifth finger?

This question could of course also count for other artists than
Barks. I think this subject could be as interesting as the fourth
nephew ("Phooey") appearances.

Best wishes,

--- Daniel