depression

Dan Shane danshane at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 5 16:02:54 CET 2001

CANDICO at AOL.COM says:

> I was reading the Don Rosa timeline a few days ago and he mentioned the
> depression or the collapse of the stock exchange in Duckburg.  In real
life,
> during that time thousands of people lost their whole fortunes and that
time
> was at the peak of Scrooge's fortune.  Just one year later he became the
> worlds richest duck.  If Don or anybody else knows how Scrooge could have
> maintained his vast and humongus fortune during the depression, I would
like
> to know how.  Thank you.

And I reply:

Hi Candico (what is your real name, anyway?),

I assume the timeline you're referring to is the one on the Duckhunt web
site.  Are you only relying on information documented on web pages and in
people's private archives for your search for Scrooge history?  The comics
themselves are a better source than anyone's memory.  I'm curious myself if
you have read (or tried to find) those original comic stories?

I certainly understand your interest in Scrooge's fascinating "life".
Everyone on this list shares that interest.  But you'll notice that I put
the word "life" in quotes, as he isn't a real person.  You questions (and
the one above is typical of most if not all of them) suggest that Scrooge
was more than a fictional character, and that he actually existed in our
real-world 20th century.  Admittedly, Barks and Rosa have made him a
larger-than-life character that SEEMS real, but most of us can draw the line
that separates fantasy from fact.

Do you have a specific purpose for the information you seek, such as a term
paper or fan site of your own?  Since you are asking questions like a
newspaper reporter might, and we are supplying the answers, could we ask
what use you are going to make of your "research"?

Dan Shane
(danshane at bellsouth.net)