Maths & Counting

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Tue Feb 20 20:06:23 CET 2001

Hello!

I sure wish I could attend your lectures about mathematics, Nils.
That's a great idea.

1/    I can't even remember how, but last week I found a site
       that you may want to have a look at:
       http://world.std.com/~reinhold/mathmovies.html
       Its about references to mathematics in the movies.
       some funny things.

2/    As regards the counting system  (decimal or octal) and the
       impossible "three cubic acres of  cash", when reading over
       "The Phantom of  Notre-Duck" (U$ 60, Nov '65, Album 50),
        I found an amazing item: a "no-limit adding machine" (right
        in the first panel) in the shape of  a *cubic* abacus !
        This sure was but a throw-in gag, but in a sense it might
        account for the incredible unit...