How good are the artists?

Sandven, Halvor halvor.sandven at dnb.no
Mon Jan 15 16:25:50 CET 2001

Hello!

I have read the discussion about the quality of Carol Voges art. Personally
I don't like it very much, but that's beside the point. It's obvious that
art that someone consider awful, somebody else likes a lot. I have my own
opinion on how good the different artists are, and so I have tried to give
each artist a grade. By doing this I have made a system that uses INDUCKS
and finds how the quality in the danish, dutch and german weekly has changed
thru the years. This may be known to some of you, as I have mentioned this
in a previous mail to this list. The results are plotted in a Excel-diagram,
and can be seen in a graph. I have also tried to take into consideration
that some artists have changed their style thru the years. An example would
be Murry. I consider his early work to be very good, but the things he did
the last years, were not really that hot. I know that this way of finding
the quality may not be perfect, because there are many things that are
difficult to take into consideration, but I believe that the results
correspond with the feeling I've got regarding how the quality of the danish
weekly is for each year.

It would be interesting to see how the results would change if the artists
were rated by others. I have enclosed the most-used artists in the danish
and dutch weekly with number of pages. If anyone would try to rate these, I
could make their personal results. You can rate any artist you want, but of
course the most-used artists are the most important. For those you don't
rate, I may use my own ratings. If the response is good, I could make the
results by the artists average grade. You may also let me know how artists
change thru the years. You could for example say that a given artist work
before 1975 has the grade 5,0, but later it's 4,0, or you could say that his
or her duck-stories has the grade 3,5 and the other stories has the grade
3,0. In my system the best grade is 6,0, and the worst is 1,0. Decimals may
be used. Also, if the response is good, maybe it would be interesting to
have an official graph showing the quality that most of the members on this
list can agree about? Maybe we could make an 'expert-group' that could agree
upon how the rules for how each artist should be rated thru the years should
be?
I would also like to do this on the italian Topolino, but in the italian
version of INDUCKS there are still many stories with unknown number of
pages. Also, I'm not very familiar with all the italian artists, so I would
need some help here. As the different coutries version of INDUCKS gets more
complete, this can be done for any publication that's updated.

Here are the most-used artists, with their total number of pages in the
danish and dutch weekly: (reprints are counted)

Vicar			9010	4910
Carl Barks		8760	8271
Tony Stobl		6409	3635
Paul Murry		6042	2600
Jack Bradbury		4158	3444
Tello			3309	338
Antonio Gil-Bao		2489	233
Daniel Branca		2435	662
Colomer		1907	1599
Al Hubbard		1635	2415
Toi			1535	26
Santanach		1474	60
Ferioli			1350	46
Al Taliaferro		1269	456
Gil Turner		1187	738
Pete Alavardo		1180	558
Don Rosa		1111	55
Esteban		1087	55
Manuel Gonzales	1057	210
Millet			1053	54
Julio Ramos		871	119
Phil DeLara		839	702
Rodriguez		814	0
Marcal Abella Bresco	778	27
Torres			728	80
Willian VanHorn		689	70
David			640	109
Adrian Sørensen	619	40
Scalabroni		534	88
Marco Rota		533	12
Nunez			512	22
Jim Fletcher		503	504
Harvei Eisenberg	470	615
Jose Cardona Blasi	467	14
Nils Rydahl		465	6
Xavi			435	61
Frank McSavage	424	388
Dick Moores		396	528
Mau Heymans		361	1097
Tello-Team		346	47
Romano Scarpa		327	75
Kay Wright		326	193
Noel vanHorn		324	2
Floyd Gottfredson	308	520
Ben Verhagen		205	548
Freddy Milton		181	653
Daan Jippes		178	442
Bas Heymans		97	303
Mark de Jonge		89	295
Ed van Schuijlenburg	80	380
Comicup Studio		48	810
Carol Voges		34	597
Ed Lukacs		6	302
Bardon			2	382
Dick Matena		0	1143

There are many more, but these are the most-used.
Also, if anyone wants to know more details about my results, or wants to see
my graph, just send me a mail.

---Halvor (halvor.sandven at dnb.no)

entity to whom it is addressed. Please also be aware that DnB cannot
accept any payment orders or other legally binding correspondence with
customers as a part of an email.

This email message has been virus checked by the virus programs used
in the DnB Group.