Donald Duck Comic Strip

Stefan Persson reimersholme at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 15 22:46:10 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <BFOSTERLA at aol.com>
To: <dcml at stp.ling.uu.se>
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2001 1:13 AM
Subject: Donald Duck Comic Strip

> Thank you, Rob Klein.
>    Yes, I wrote the Duck strip from 1980 through 1990, daily and Sunday,
and
> I have boxes full of the original roughs.  I always wrote in "storyboard"
> format.  When I edited Donald Duck Adventures, Uncle Scrooge Adventures,
> DuckTales and Walt Disney's Comics and Stories I almost always did a
layout
> sketch for the covers, and I have most of those, too.  I was always
delighted
> by the final artwork that artists interpreted from my sketches.  Their
> problem was putting the characters on model while trying to retain some of
> the attitudes I had put into the roughs.  A real challenge!  The solutions
> they came up with were always impressive. If DCML readers are interested,
and
> if I can figure out how to scan and send, I'd be happy to post some of the
> roughs next to copies of the final art so DCML members can see what a
great
> job the artists did (for educational purposes, of course.) I've recently
> moved, so I'd have to dig things out of storage, but give me some time and
> I'll see what I can come up with.

It sounds very interesting! I have read many of your Sunday strips in
Swedish reprints, and they have been in a very good quality! And beeing able
to see the original storyboard for some of your stories, would be really
interesting. The best part of the Sunday strips since Karp/Taliaferro
stories, and strips such as #7/13/80, #5/3/81, #10/11/87, #3/27/88, #4/10/88
and about all the strips with von Drake's joke robot and other inventions
(e.g. the beverage drinking machine in #2/22/81) are IMHO even better than
the standard Karp/Taliaferro quality. But the work replacement robot in a
1980 strip (the date is not printed in the Swedish magazine, but probably
from the 11th of May) that sleeps at Donald's desk is my absolute favourite.

Did you BTW know that there is a reproduced Egmont version of your #6/29/80
strip, draw by Vicar? The most obvious difference, is that your strip take
place indoors, while the Egmont version takes place outdoors. In the Swedish
version of the original strip, both the first and the third nephews have red
caps, though...

Stefan Persson