New site

Kevin Clark magicianzero at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 23 04:21:03 CET 2001

>From: "Kenneth Glendinning" <neth80 at hotmail.com>
>To: dcml at stp.ling.uu.se
>Subject: New site
>Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 23:57:37 +1100
>
>Hello I have a new site for disney comics it is still being worked on but
>it
>will have lots of links a history of comics as well as the history of
>disney
>comics as well as meny more things.
>Please have a look and tell me if you whould like me to put any thing on
>there that I am not allready doing.
>http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/ken2/index.html

Oookaaay...let's take the design sins one at a time:

(1) Green text on a patterned grey/hunter green background.
This is pretty poor contrast, though it may look cool at first.  Can we say
"eyestrain," boys and girls?

(2) Long, unbroken text block.
This is completely unreadable, as has been noted elsewhere.  I'm sure
there's a few coherent, developed thoughts in there somewhere (maybe), but
it's difficult to sort them out.  Learn to use <BR> or <P>.

(3) Links at the beginning of the page.
While I appreciate having an early bailout, I believe it's customary to
either put your links at the end of the page or in their own section.

(4) Non-sequitur image.
What does this MM cover have to do with anything?  Sure, it's a Disney
comic, and your page is about Disney comics "as well as meny (sic) more
things", but why that cover?  Is it the only one you had available?  Is "The
House of Many Mysteries" an alternate title for your page?  Let's get a
caption under this image, at the very least.

(5) Spelling, or lack thereof.
I know that spelling and grammar in e-text have long since gone the way of
the dodo, but please, make more of an effort.  Learn some of the
capitalization rules.

Incidentally, you need to do some research.  Last I heard, the comic _book_
was pioneered by E.C. Gaines, the founder of EC comics (the primary
target/victim of the Wertham-inspired Comics Code Authority).  You refer to
"more action filled (sic) comics being published like BATMAN and SUPERMAN"
-- perhaps you mean Detective Comics and Action Comics?

If you'd like a good history of comics in general, I'd suggest Scott
McCloud's _Understanding Comics_ (and Eisner's earlier work, which McCloud
references several times).

Good luck with your website,
Kevin Clark